Thursday, January 12, 2006

So I could use a little help (or a lot...)

As some of you may know, I'm enrolled in an English course at school. As you may also know, I tried two English courses in my first year and failed one. I still need half a credit of English and I thought rather than take a difficult english course that I don't know why I took in the first place, I will take the Writing and Theory. On the first day we were given an writing assignment and marked on a pass or fail basis, to determine where we stand and if we would be able to succeed in that course. It would appear as I might not, as I failed the initial assignment. The professor however, claimed that she's had students who've failed the first assignment and done exceptionally well in the course. She told me that I didn't understand the passage that we read, and looking back now, I can see that I totally missed the concept. But I get it now. Obviously I chose to stay in the course, because my only other option would be to pay for an easier course which I would not receive credit for, and honestly, where's the point in that? I'm not looking forward to the course, with an online journal due every week among other silly little assignments, but I am determined to do exceptionally well, and prove that initial assignment wrong. We work in groups (its a workshop course) and although I was aprehensive about it at first, my group members are people I could see myself hanging out with, none of those snotty girls I've hated for as long as I can remember. Anyways. The point of my post.
Our first assignment has two parts. One to write an essay about myself (not necessarily formal or informal). Two, to write an imaginary letter applying for a position at an imaginary business. I think I'll be fine with the second part (if I can think of an imaginary business), but I'm stuck on the first part. We need a rough draft for Tuesday and I'm determined to have a good piece by then (for peer editing). There is just one thing. My professor says it doesn't necessarily have to be "My name is _________, and I'm _________. I was born ___________ on _________". She said that describing an event or something we'd experienced in the past is another way of letting her know who we are. And I'd much rather do that than the typical who I am essay. One would think I'd be good at talking about myself, but it's quite the opposite. What I'm asking is that if any of you have any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it (on either part of the assignment).

In Other News...
I went to the gym today in what seemed like the first time in forever. Parts of it was difficult, others not so much. It was good to go out and feel like I was actually doing something productive. I'm going back tomorrow too when I get out of class at 11.

Work is okay. Keeping me busy.

I went to see Casanova on Monday night and I must say that I was terribly pleased with it. It was silly and exaggerated I'm sure, but entertaining nonetheless. Heath Ledger was really cute, I never knew lace could look that good :).

On Monday morning I started reading Lost by Joy Fielding and I was done it by Wednesday afternoon. I just could not put that book down, so much that I fell asleep reading for the first time on Tuesday night.

And that's it for now! Ciao!


2 Comments:

  • At 5:28 AM, Blogger Jody said…

    This is just an idea, so at the risk of sounding stupid, why don't you write about your experience of open throat surgery - what led up to it, i.e. being born with only one vocal cord - cause your voice is so connected to who you are. But maybe start writing it as you are going through the experience and then work your way back to what brought you there originally... does that make sense? Sound totally stupid? Just an idea kid... won't be insulted if you don't run with it.

     
  • At 10:52 AM, Blogger Tawny said…

    I took the course in question, did the same test, did lots of grammar assignments and essays, etc. If I was given that assignment, for the first part, I'd go straight for my blog and see if I could find something there that I could expand upon - your essay could be already mostly done!! :)

    Jody's idea was a good suggestion -or what about writing about your position in our family, and how maybe being the youngest of 5 kids has helped shape your life?

    For the second part...hrmm..imaginary business. I always joke that I want to get a job as a professional sleeper. It's unfortunate that those jobs don't exist because I think I'd be extremely qualified. You probably could be too :).

    If you need someone to read over your assignment or edit for grammar or what have you then let me know - I'm happy to help :).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home