Thursday, November 24, 2005

Some experiences really do last a lifetime.

When I was over in England in the spring, Jody, Andy, Alex and myself drove to Nottingham to spend the day with Andy's sister Ali. We woke up early the next day to head to Chatsworth House, a stately home in Derbyshire. I was totally amazed by it's beauty and sheer wonder of the architecture and decor. I knew it was a place I would definitely like to return.
This evening, Krystyna and I went to Bayer's Lake to see Pride & Prejudice, a movie we'd both been dying to see since we saw the trailer for it. Sitting in the theatre and hearing them talk of London, New Castle, and the Peak District, was very nostalgic. However, it was when Mr. Darcy's home was visited that I really sat up and took notice. I looked at the ceilings, most specifically the staircase, and I couldn't help think, "Have I been there? It looks a bit like Chatsworth House..." I figured it could just be a similar house, but they entered a large room filled with sculptures, and I thought to myself that it couldn't just be a coincidence that two houses would have so much in common, or that a movie set could resemble an actual house so much. It was when I saw the two lions- one crouching, one sleeping- on either side of a doorway, lions that stood out to me durning my visit, that I knew it was indeed, Chatsworth House. Not too long after that, looking out a window we saw the fountains, and shortly after that, the cast went outdoors, and in the background you could see the Cascades. I must admit, tears came to my eyes, as I couldn't believe that not 8 months ago I was there, walking those grounds and through those rooms. It was something I will never forget, and I am very grateful that I got to experience. For more information on the house, visit here.

And lets face it...how cool is it to sit in a movie theatre watching a movie that takes place in England and be able to turn to your friend and say, "I was there. I've stood in that room"?

And finally...P&P was absolutely brilliant. It's the type of movie that leaves you sitting there mesmerized, totally captivated, and leaving you wanting more. Not that it ended poorly, I thought it was fantastic. But I very well could have sat there for the 9 o'clock show, and watched it all over again. It was beautiful and innocent, and the acting was stellar. I'm always impressed with Donald Sutherland, and Keira Knightley as much as I hate to admit it, always does an amazing job.

And with that, I'm gone to bed. I have an eye appointment tomorrow after school, hoping to have new glasses and maybe contacts for the holidays. Then I have to work. It's an exciting life.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:08 AM, Blogger Jody said…

    Well. U and I will definitely have to see it again together since we have the wonderful memory of touring the house and playing in the grounds... remember the maze? I'm so glad you have such terrific memories of my adopted country. Here's to next year!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home