Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Fern Wimpley, live and stinky from New Waltham!

That's right. I stink (again!). At the rate I'm going no one is ever going to want to come near me! And what else may you have noticed? I've adopted an alias. What started as a joke actually managed to stick. Here, let me explain.

Yesterday morning, us three crazy's consisting of the secret behind "Les Castors" set off on the motorways of Northern England with one destination in mind-The Lake District. Before arriving at McDonald's for a not-so-quick breakfast (filled with cocaine jokes) Dawn had the ever so smooth suggestion of coming up with plant names for us. After Dawn's idea of deeming herself 'Emma Rose', I thought I'd be clever and wittingly suggest 'Fern' for my name. Well unfortunately for me that name stuck. I would be Fern for the rest of the trip. After much deliberation, when we arrived in the Lake District Dawn, Jody, and I were then to be known as Sage, Poppy, and Fern respectively. We're a bunch of crazies I tells ya.

After a lunch at a delighful inn with a fantastic view of a lake, we took a walk to the water to inquire about Kayaking. Headed towards the end of the lake, we drove down windy roads and never did find our kayaking haven. Deciding to keep going, we headed into another more quiet town to scope out some Bed and Breakfast's to crash in. The first one we came across was stunning (I can't even describe it, I'll leave that to the girls) however, there was no one home. So we continued down the road, passing sheep, baa'ing at them rather obnoxiously. Then we came upon another amazing B&B, again with no one home. It seemed we were unlucky in our wishes to stay in a rather old style B&B for the night. But then, THEN!! We saw a wickedly lovely B&B that, had vacancies, and guess what?! There was someone home! So we went in and talked to Sharon, the lovely woman who opened her home to us. She showed us the room she had available, and I believe all three of us fell in love. It was a two story room with a fushcia bathroom. Fern, Poppy, and Sage were sold. We were calling this place home for the night. A walk around the grounds presented prime photo ops, and despite Sage's persistence, I would not roll down the hill so she could video tape it.

We headed back to the car and headed into the next town in search of kayaking, but unfortunately it was closed. Again we tackled the windy roads, trying not to get creamed into the wall by passing crazy locals driving "way too fast" in Poppy's words. I think she just wanted to enjoy the "beautiful" views (Sage's words). Hahah, no really. The locals are crazy. Back to the B&B where we walked into town to the best local pub (said Sharon--we should have given her a name). Drinks, good food, and a cute bartender. Good conversation and a friendly, local atmosphere welcoming babies and dogs. What wasn't to love? Then we headed to the local Co-op for some Cider and WKD to drink in the courtyard. Easy drinking and an early night.

The next morning was met with a full english breakfast, Kayaking, and a leisurely walk around Ryder's Lake where I became Fern Wimpley, but I'll save that story for the girls. It's ironic that I was the one ridiculed for wearing flip flops when I was the only one out of us three who DIDN'T get blisters, and halfway through our walk I put on Dawn's shoes so she could wear my flip flops. I may not be so stupid afterall ;P Dawn's shoes were fine for me, and I must admit, I've fallen in love with them. Oh, and I lived up to my natural name, fetching us cold spring mountain water from a stream. Watch me get sick. That'd be just my luck. Either way, I was proud of myself!

All in all it was a pleasurable weekend. The scenery doesn't get justice in pictures, and I will never forget it. Nor will I forget the incredible softness of the toilet paper at out B&B. It was nice :)

Other than that we've been kicking around the area. Tried our hand at quiz night and got creamed again (insert boo's here. Les Castors SUCK). Got really drunk and stumbled into Cleethorpes on Saturday night. Never thought I'd stumble home at 5am. But good times.

I've really been enjoying myself and the idea of leaving makes me sick. Which makes my birthday bittersweet. I'm terribly excited for it because Sage and Poppy said they're going to get me a tiara (you only turn 21 once, and 21 means legal everywhere). However, at the same time, my birthday is only 4 days before I leave, and well, we're not talking about that.

Well it's been a good post, but I'm about to pass out. I can't wait to see what Batman has to say about my stench tonight, hahaha.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:37 PM, Blogger Thegirl said…

    RUUUUN FEEERRRRRN!
    RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

     
  • At 9:36 AM, Blogger Jody said…

    As Alex said on Sunday p.m. 'now back to boring old life...' We miss you too kiddo. xo

     

Post a Comment

<< Home