Saturday, April 11, 2009

Accessories

This afternoon, as I browsed the accessory stands at Le Chateau, I thought to myself. What is it about accessories, meaning jewelry, that is so fascinating to women? And not only women, but men too. Women love their earrings, necklaces, bracelets and rings. Men too, find enjoyment in a good watch, a nice chain, and some manly studs-no pun intended.

But women, some women wear the same earrings every day; some a different pair every day. Some women stick to yellow gold, others white gold or silver. Is jewelery an expression? An effort to impress?

I've always been one to enjoy a beautiful costume ring over a blinding diamond ring. Fun, colorful earrings over a pair of pearls or diamonds. I look at jewelery as an expression. When I see a fun pair of earrings in a store, I can picture exactly what I'll wear them with. I never think "I don't need these, I have too many".

Well let me tell you.

I have 60 pairs of earrings.

The sad thing is, I don't know how this happened. Between receiving pairs as gifts, buying some on sale (anything 2 for I'm a sucker for), or just buying some as souvenirs while on vacation, I've managed to start a pretty hefty collection. And that does not include my holiday earrings (ie: Christmas and Halloween).



I'm wondering, are earrings like my scarves? Do they just make me feel so damn pretty that I can't stop? But, as my brother pointed out to me today, my collection of earrings might add up to $200 give or take. Some people would spend that much or MORE on just one pair. I think I'm doing okay.

So I'm a bit extravagant. That's okay right? And I could always set up shop and SELL these earrings if I ever had to.

I'm still questioning the fascination with accessories, but I can't deny that I am a slave to them. As a girl, pretty things happen to catch my eyes. And what's better than something pretty AND practical? Watches, my friends, watches. You should always know what time it is, and something pretty? That makes finding out the time when you're wishing the night would go on forever more bearable.



You know, I don't know why I have 7 watches. The one of the far left I've had for a few years, the one second from the left was only $2.71 (a bargain!), the one second from the right was free, and the pink one was only about $7. The most expensive watch there was the orange one, and that one was only $20! People think that you have to buy expensive things to be fashionable, but I think I am proof that you can buy inexpensive things!

I'll stop now before people send someone to lock me up. I still lack the taste of Rebecca Bloomwood, so I'm still okay. And I'm done. No more earrings. I found that lime green scarf and have resisted all others since. I can resist watches and earrings. No problem!

Next you can look forward to a blog on...handbags!

3 Comments:

  • At 6:45 PM, Blogger Jody said…

    Actually the most expensive watch is the roots one (they cost over $100), but since that was a Zinc's bus bargain find, who's copmplaining?

    I still want the big brown one :)

     
  • At 5:40 PM, Blogger Thegirl said…

    And you're not afraid of colour!!!

     
  • At 6:30 AM, Blogger Jody said…

    Time to blog again...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home