Sunday, October 29, 2006

It's time for a change

I used to be the type who hated change. I'd constantly find myself surrounded in a routine, watching everything else around me change. Over the past few years I've gained a lot of insight. Sometimes you can't keep everything the way you like it. Lifestyles change, people change.

I've adopted some really good friends over the past few years, and lost base with others I never thought I would. In this fight to maintain consistency I've discovered that sometimes change happens for a reason, people change. I try to embrace the new, however sometimes it just doesn't fit. I have tried to be friends with those who I use to hold so dear and I'm done trying. I need friends who are willing to give as much as they are willing to receive. I've found that in the friends I've acquired since I left high school. And although I will miss the time spent with those in the past, I look forward to new experiences with those in the future. They say you can't pick your family, but you can pick your friends. In this aspect of my life, I'm chosing to take control.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:04 AM, Blogger Jody said…

    I remember saying to you once, that many things that seemed important in high school, won't seem so once you leave it behind. Anybody that you are leaving behind have allowed themselves to be put in that position through neglect. Friendships change as you grow older and the ones that are worth hanging on to will be with you for life.

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger Tawny said…

    There's nothing wrong in moving on if you're not getting what you need from the friendship.

    But friendships constantly evolve though too..some of these people that you're now leaving behind for whatever reasons, might find their way back into your life again someday. You might just need some time apart - time to grow a little.

    Friendships are weird things :).

     
  • At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I totally agree with both Jody and Tawny. Leaving behind people with whom you shared a period in your life is always difficult, but it is so true that as life goes on, so does friendship. You will meet new people, you will make even stronger friendship and, who knows, down the road, you might even meet those old friends again.

     
  • At 1:01 PM, Blogger Rob, Tina and the boys said…

    Tawny and I are a perfect example of this. We drifted apart after high school (and for anyone who knew us then we were inseparatable)and although we no longer have the relationship we had then, we have regained our friendship and have developed a new one. It's funny how things work out.

     
  • At 8:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    whaaaaaaaa don't leave me behind, i'm still here!! hahah :p

     

Post a Comment

<< Home