Friday, September 08, 2006

Movies Galore!

...well, not really.

So next week begins the Atlantic Film Festival. I've always been jealous of Tawny's adventures whilst meandering around the Toronto Film Festival, and where I know it's definitely not the same thing I'm still excited. My wonderful co-worker Shari managed to score free passes from C100 and allowed me to make my selection. For free I will be seeing:
  • Sharkwater (a documentary about sharks)
  • That Beautiful Somewhere
  • Opal Dream
  • Candy
I have to purchase tickets for The King and Half Nelson, but considering the rest are for free, the film festival will only cost me $30. Can't beat that. Let's just hope I can get those 4 nights off.

Hair anyone?

It's been my opinion (and that of numerous hair dressers) that 2-in-1 Shampoo and Conditioners are not good for your hair. I've run out of my regular stuff, and rather than buy some more, I figured I'd just use up what's left in the bathroom. Well. I now believe what hair dressers say. My hair is wirey, frizzy, and just plain unruly. It has to be washed every day. Clearly, what they say is not a total myth.

On to other news, I've been really itching to dye my hair lately. I keep convincing myself not to because it's been over 2 years and my hair is finally all one, natural color. I get many compliments on it, would I really want to do it? I'm over hilites or foils, so it would be a full head color, and I'd want it done professionally because I'd need to buy like 5 boxes what with all the hair I have and I don't want to risk spots. I definitely would not go darker because I'm too fair for that. So I was thinking a lighter brown, or maybe a dark blonde (Don't yell at me! I realize it would be horrible which is why I'm talking myself out of it!).

Anyways. Enough about that.

Rough times

My ezcema is killing me. I'm like one, huge rash. My legs are cracking their so dry, and cream just makes them itchier. My eye lids are drying out on me again, cracking and stinging from the salt when they water. I don't even know if I should bother with the tanning beds because when I was going I wasn't getting any color at all. I just want to not have to scratch my legs to pieces!

Sometimes, old is better.

Tonight was spent down in the good old Mill Cove Plaza, working in the theatre. I remember the days when Dad used to take John and me, or my friends and me to see a movie. I remember the stops at Sobey's and the backpacks filled with our purchases, scared we wouldn't be allowed and thus forced to smuggle them in. I remember having to sit in the seats by the wall because Dad brought his book and needed the lights from the walls to read it while we waited for our movie. Some of the movies I can clearly remember are Beauty and the Beast and Toy Story. The first summer I started working for empire, Tawny was home for my graduation and her, Jods, and I went to Bedford to watch Bruce Almighty. I remember sitting there with my sisters, scared we were going to wet ourselves laughing at Steve Carell as he tried to read the news. Last week Krystyna, Cameron, and I stopped in to visit a coworker who was there that night, and I was reminded of why I loved that theatre. It's lack of vandalizing, screeching teenagers; the curtains that squeak as they are pulled up to reveal the screen; the non-stadium seating which doesn't make a difference because hardly any one goes and people sitting in front of you is not a problem. It's quaint, quiet, old school, and I love it. We're not sure how much longer it's going to last so I won't complain when I have to work there. I might even take the extra ten minutes and drive there instead to enjoy it while I still can.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:07 AM, Blogger Rob, Tina and the boys said…

    Yes, that theatre holds many memories for me also. First dates, many MANY movies with Tawny (Postcards from the Edge comes to mind)LOL. I would be very sad to see it go.

     
  • At 7:38 PM, Blogger Thegirl said…

    I remember going there to see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Man. I'm old...

     
  • At 11:23 PM, Blogger Fern Wimpley said…

    DID YOU KNOW THERE IS GOING TO BE A NEW TEENAGE MUTANT NIJA TURTLES!!!! :O!
    MARCH 30, 2007.
    MARK YOUR CALENDARS PEOPLE!

     
  • At 7:02 AM, Blogger Jody said…

    My memories of that studio are fond as well.

    Re your hair: I'm sure a change would be nice, but you have soooo much hair it could get very costly with an all over colour! Whatever you decide keep us posted please :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home