Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Parade of Lights!!

Tonight was the Chronical Herald Parade of Lights. Like always Empire Theatres and C100 got together to kick off their Toy Drive. Every year they collect unused, unwrapped donations for low-income families around metro who cannot afford presents for their children. Being a staff member at Empire allowed me to participate, and in honor of the new movie Happy Feet we designed our float around it (courtesy of Hatfield Farms) and some of us -including me!-dressed up in tuxedos to resemble penguins! The tuxedos were donated from Model Tuxedo, and I must say we looked sharp! I'm not sure if it was just the overall good feeling of what we were doing but it was a fantastic night. The looks on the childrens faces as they saw our float pass by were reward enough. I loved the "Hi Penguin!" calls that were shouted out to our person dressed as an actual penguin atop the float. My heart melted at a little girl who cried out "Happy Feet! I Looooove you!", and tears were brought to my eyes when I saw the children from the IWK bundled up in blankets in their wheelchairs, IV drips by their side. I was also moved to see the elderly from the hospitals and guest homes brought out to enjoy in the festivities as well.

I cannot wait for next year to arrive so that I can do it all over again!

This is all of us except one posing in our tuxedos. I told you we looked sharp!

The Sackville Crew posing outside our bus awaiting our float (and I got a cute Happy Feet shirt too!)
Andy and Me by our float.

Shari and me with decorations from our float on our faces :)

The Float!

The Penguins on our Float!

More Penguins!


This is how many toys we collected in one night! And it is just the beginning of the Toy Drive! Many thanks to those who helped out and to those who donated toys! For those who are interested in making a donation, you can drop one off at any Empire Theatres location until December 23rd!

4 Comments:

  • At 6:17 AM, Blogger Jody said…

    What a wonderful post! You all looked very sharp and I'm so pleased you all had so much fun giving back to the community!

    xoxo

     
  • At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    frig I wish I still worked there.
    It's seeing picutres like that, and hearing the stories that make me miss it even more. :(
    I love you Space!
    <33
    kt

     
  • At 5:20 PM, Blogger Thegirl said…

    you look great in the penguin suit- and can understand why your waving arm might be a little sore!!!!

     
  • At 6:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A great post, Stacey! Thank you for sharing these lovely pictures! The "penguin suit"really suits you!!! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home