Friday, September 09, 2005

Just call me a geek!

School's definitely in.
Wow. The past few days have been a whirlwind of events. I came home Sunday night from Toronto, and had to work all day Monday. Tuesday morning I awoke early and headed into school to buy some books. Then I had work from 115-5, went to Staples to get some things for school, and came home where I tore my room apart and cleaned it. Why I chose to do that the night before school, I'll never know. The result was indeed an organized room, but I was in bed at 1 am because of it. Yesterday I had my first day of classes. All seems well with them. My Diversity of Animals course seems pretty okay--except for a presentation I have to do in lab. I'm not excited about that, but I'll deal. I guess what it comes down to is that I hate meeting people, let alone trying to find a partner, therefore I hate labs. You'd think I'd have gotten used to that by now, I guess I'm an exception to the rule eh? I think I'm going to love my Neuroscience class as much as I thought I was going to. 3 midterms and a final exam. Easy-peasy (or so I hope). However, then there is Chemistry. I don't have the professor I thought I had, the prof I was told was the best out of the two. I don't have the other one either (yeah, the class I failed first year). I have a new prof, a man I've never seen before with a thick accent (not sure where he's from) and the tendency to speak quietly, so it's hard to make out what he's saying. That unsettles me, plus his apparent enjoyment of calling on random people and asking them questions. I'm already disliking this course, which is not good. With my history, I need to want to excel and the losing interest doesn't mesh well with that outlook. I guess I'll just have to get there super early (an advantage for me, it's my first class of the day) and score a first row seat, pray to god he doesn't call on me. I also haven't bought the book for that course, as I have it from two years ago. They've come out with a new edition...I'm hoping the changes are minimal...I don't want to have to shell out $119.95 + tax for a book I really, already have. Today I only had my math course, Intro to Probablility and Statistics. I can honestly say this might be my best course this year. My professor is incredibly nice and seems to want to offer all the help he can. At least that's one good thing.
So I've been spending the past two evenings with my face stuck in books. I have all my readings done for tomorrow, plus some sample exercises. I'm prepared to go into tomorrow (or so I think!). Here's wishing me luck to this year, I'm really going to need it.
Establishing Credit



Back at the begining of August, I went into the Buskers with Krystyna and a friend of hers. We heard someone offering bonus airmiles to the first person at the booth, so we made a dash. The lady let us both have them, but the catch was, you had to sign up for a BMO Mosaik Mastercard. The woman at the booth assured as that we were under no obligation to activate it, we could cut it up and throw it out if we so desired. So all three of us filled out forms. I guess I was approved because I received a card in the mail today. I'm not sure what to do with it. I know that credit cards are tricky things, causing a lot of temptation and debt, but I also feel that I should be establishing some form of credit. It would also give me a lot more freedom. I'd be able to book my own flights for my trips instead of relying on someone else, and should I ever need a hotel room, I'd be able to do that. On the other hand, I rushed through the application, I didn't sign up for anything special, I just got the basic card. There was something I could do about interest rate, but I left it. I didn't think I'd activate it, and if I did, I didn't plan on having overbalance or whatever it's called. The point is, I have it. And I don't know whether or not to activate it. I think I could handle it and control myself, but is it a risk I should take?

With that I must say goodnight. I'm working tomorrow night, and I have to get up at 7 am. So I'm going to sign off and crawl into my cozy bed.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:59 AM, Blogger Jody said…

    I think you are a much more 'serious' student than that of two years ago and I believe you will do great this year.

    The MC? I think its great you were approved, I see nothing wrong with having it for booking trips, emergencies, etc. but you have to be really careful and if you can pay off what you put on it as quickly as possible you should be fine - so just be careful. Also you might want to shop around for a better card with better interest rates - I have that card and the Intrest is HIGH... you will be approved for another card- uni students usually are - but if so, chop that one up! Whatever you do, I don't think it hurts for you to have one credit card - if anything it will help you establish good credit.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home