Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Summer time is the time I like...maybe

So although we've been having really great weather this summer (I know I complain about the heat, but I think secretly I love it), I'm not getting much of a chance to enjoy it, and that's not because of my working so much. I'm used to going to the beach or the lake quite a bit, and this year, although I've gone to the beach a bit, I've not been to the lake once. This is due largely in part to one of my very good friends working in Truro Mon-Fri, and a few other people I know work all day jobs Mon-Fri as well. As for Krystyna and Meghan, if I'm not working, usually they are. That aside, even if I did have some one to attend the beach with me, where Kat is in Truro, I'm the only one with access to a vehicle and sadly enough, it might not be wise to venture down to Queensland in it. It's really quite annoying that vehicle I drive. And frustrating. I'd love to make the most of my summer, but I'm restricted by the car. I'm not trying to come off as ungrateful or anything like that, as I know how lucky I am to have such access. However, it'd be nice to actually be able to do the things I want to do, gather some friends and go camping somewhere. I know that at my age and situation I really should adore the car that I drive, but when you have to put it in neutral to start it, and it takes like 5 tries to even turn the ignition, you start to get irritated. I just want to go to the beach! As much as possible!

Other than that nothing much has really been going on. I've been trying to work out a lot lately, and eat reasonably healthy. I don't know what I'm doing, but it must be working because I've managed to shed nearly (not quite) 10lbs in the 2 or 3 weeks I've been doing this for. So I'm pleased about that.

But as I just returned from the gym, I must be off to shower and eat a quick lunch before I head into work all day! I hope today goes as fast as yesterday did! Ciao!

8 Comments:

  • At 12:16 PM, Blogger Tawny said…

    Congrats on the working out, the weightloss and eating well - it's difficult for sure! You should come hang with me at my workout blog - record your workouts and your eating habits, I'm finding it helps me a lot!

    (Yes, shameless plug, http://www.actiontawn.blogspot.com :) ).

    On an entirely different note... I was chatting with a gal I work with - she is looking at booking her friend's cottage that last week of August - which means if you're up that week, we can mostly get in a couple of days of cottage time. It's on the lake, so it's bound to be fun. I'll keep you posted... :).

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger fatrobot said…

    i am from nova scotia as well, although i don't live there anymore i laugh everytime a hurricane hits it
    because i am mean

     
  • At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Uhh.. riiight..

    Stace: Do yourself a favor and buy a civic. 92 or later.

    They all have rusted rear quarter panels so visually they're not all that sexy but they drive well, and have bulletproof engines.

    You can find Civic Hatchbacks in the Toronto area (meaning more expensive than Halifax I would think) for $1600 now. Parts are plentiful.

     
  • At 11:58 PM, Blogger Fern Wimpley said…

    Taylor: There was talk of finding a way for me to get end up driving Jody's car while I was in the UK, that seems to have been forgotten though. And I quite like Civics. I fancied yours.

    Tawn: I do read your blog, but don't see much point in adding my input as nothing I do is really routine. I need something solid. Something fixed.

    fatrobot: charming, really.

     
  • At 1:13 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    haha, I like how you have random people leaving comments in your blog. hah..no one comments in mine :P

     
  • At 10:11 AM, Blogger Jody said…

    Here's to the weight loss - you are upholding your end of the deal much better than me! As for the car - I had a shitkicker too when I was your age, that I unfortunately had to pay for and repair myself.. but I won't go there again, you've heard it before. As for my car, I thought you and Dad were sorting something out... take the initiative girl, you know my insurer's name.
    I want that car driven and looked after as badly as you want to drive it.

     
  • At 10:11 AM, Blogger Jody said…

    Here's to the weight loss - you are upholding your end of the deal much better than me! As for the car - I had a shitkicker too when I was your age, that I unfortunately had to pay for and repair myself.. but I won't go there again, you've heard it before. As for my car, I thought you and Dad were sorting something out... take the initiative girl, you know my insurer's name.
    I want that car driven and looked after as badly as you want to drive it.

     
  • At 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Do I even want to know why Jody's car is sitting in Beaverbank, presumably unused?

    It's still a GM :p, but at least it's a newish one. Maybe even still under warranty? Nothing beats a car under warranty when cash is tight.

    Stace, as per the Civic, it's just a good common sense car, parts are everywhere, the cars are cheap, and they'll put up with abuse, they're workhorses and very easy to work on too (not that I vision you with wrenches in hand and oil on your face but at least if something goes wrong, you have someone at your disposal who can help you diagnose it and tell you when you're getting ripped off when you want to fix it.

    Another stupidly reliable car is the early 90's Toyota Camry. They're pretty damned cheap used too.

    One thing I must urge, avoid Honda Automatics, the old ones (i.e. anything not-curret) just suck and an any Auto transmission is more than likely to give you trouble than a manual transmission.

    Basically the more basic a cars features, the cheaper it will be to maintain, and the cheaper it will be to buy. So even if you don't go Honda, you could keep that in mind with anything you buy.

    I must say I had been considering buying another Civic Hatchback (lots of decent shape, fair priced ones come on the market daily here) with the consideration that I'd be able to sell it to you when I didn't need it anymore (i.e. next spring or so). But no clue what your goals/plans are in that regard.

    But hey, if you can get the sunfire for nuthin' that's certainly better than any car you have to pay for. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home