Thursday, April 12, 2007

So, 3x-4y=...

A Linear Equation Perhaps??
Yeah, I'm talking math. If you're wondering why, think about this:
I'm going to major in Math.
I think.

Me.
Major in Math.

You know, the subject with all the equations, symbols, and signs. The subject full of proofs and derivatives. The subject that I don't really care about, but somehow manage to do well in?
Yeah, that math.

What it comes down to is a process of elimination.

Subjects I can't major in and why:
  1. Chemistry: I took first year Chemistry twice and failed the second part twice. I'm done like a thanksgiving turkey.
  2. Biology: Well, you need first year Chemistry and Organic Chemistry. We've already covered that in #1.

I'm in the Science program, and because I suck at things like writing essays and analysing novels, poems, and the like, I can't switch to a BA. So, I could either do a BSc general studies (which makes my brain hurt just thinking about what credits I need, etc) or I can do a BSc with a major. The fastest way for me to graduate (because I could major in Psychology but I a) don't want to take research methods and b) that would take another 4 years probably) is to major in Math. I'll be graduating in Spring 2009 if all goes according to plan.

Don't go thinking "Oh she's so smart, she's majoring in math" just yet.

The only classes that I've taken are Precalculus, Stats, and Finite. Yes, I kicked butt in the last two, but I only got a B- in precal which is by far the most difficult of the three. And the classes I have to take are not going to be any easier.

I met with my Precalculus professor from first year today and she seems to think that taking 3 math courses at once (Intro to Calculus, Discrete, and Linear Algebra) won't be too heavy a work load. But she did stress that I have to have full comprehension of my precalculus because I need to understand Calculus. She said that Calculus is the most important course and that my understanding that is the key to majoring in Math.

Well then.

She gave me a left over course workbook (that students usually have to pay for, have I mentioned I love her?) from this year's precal class so that I can review and make sure it's all fresh in my mind. She said that although I did well in her class, it's important that I have a good grasp on the material as it's been a few years. I'm scared to death, and I'm worried that because I don't want to major in math, I'll fail. I really couldn't handle failing anything else, and really this is my last option. Well, sort of.

As I said, I'll graduate in 2 years if I don't screw anything up. That's exciting. But, with a major in math and a minor in psychology (or biology, haven't decided yet), what am I going to do? I'm going to have to take another degree to make that count for something. And although, yes, I would have a degree, I wouldn't have a JOB. That's why I've been thinking about the Canadian College of Massage and Hydrotherapy. In two years I can become a registered massage therapist and be out on my own making money. A real job. How exciting would that be?

Either way, I'll register for classes in the fall, and I might still drop by the CCMH campus to check it out and gain some more information. Right now, my brain hurts from trying to figure my life out.

With that said, I'm going to go make it hurt some more. I have a history final on Monday that I'm determined to do well in so I must go prepare for that.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 4:26 PM, Blogger Tawny said…

    I know how frustrated you've been but I'm really happy that you haven't given up on school - it would be a shame considering all the time, energy and money you've spent on your degree to walk away from it now.

    A math major could serve you well - it will come in handy if you ever decide to pursue a degree in business or accounting, especially if you decide to someday open your business. I love math because of it's simplicity - it is what it is, there's one way to do something and one answer - no interpretations or second guessing yourself. Some people like things to be open to interpreation and there to be no 'wrong' answer, but for math geeks, we like that there's a right answer and love it when we get it :).

    I will warn you though that Calculus is TOUGH. Do not miss a single class because it is SO easy to get lost. And because it can be confusing, try and sign up with a prof that is known for how well they explain things.

     
  • At 4:29 PM, Blogger Tawny said…

    Err..should you open your own business, not to have people think that you have plans too :).

     
  • At 5:29 PM, Blogger Jody said…

    Unlike you and Tawny, math is not my thing, not at all. You were obviously blessed with dad's mathmatical mind. Either way I'm proud of you for sticking it out. A degree is something to be very proud about,no matter what you do in future. Be proud of yourself Stacy, 2009 will be here before you know it. I love you (and Tawny :) And take Tawn's advice too :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home