Sunday, July 17, 2005

And I'm so tired!

Buns or Braids?
Haven't updated in awhile. A lot has been going on, and I've been too busy. Work is absolutely crazy. We have a new district manager and now apparently there is a new rule about hair. They say that it's in effect for all employees behind concessions, but I hear yesterday they didn't say anything to the girls that were working. Wonderful really. I now have to wear my hair in either a braid or a bun. Oh, but wait, I'm allowed two of each if I really want to. Forget the fact that I've been a supervisor for a year and a half now, and I'd never had a problem with my hair before. Bah. I look like an idiot.
Calling all people...or not.
So on Thursday I went down to Aliant and got myself a new cell phone. It's really cute. But kind of a waste of money now that I think about it. I have a phone that Tawny and Taylor gave me a couple years ago that I just buy phone cards for. For some stupid reason I decided I wanted a phone that I could use here at the house (as the old phone is with Telus with whom I don't receive service out here). And of course, the only reason why I really need a cell phone is for when I'm driving or out and about, in which case, depending on where I am, I have service 90% of the time. My new phone is a camera phone. With voice mail (which I can't get working because I need a temp. password which was never given to me) and caller id, call waiting, call forwarding. And it can be voice activated as well. All these things that I really don't need. Oh, and I'm not happy with the service I receive. It's not as great as I was told it would be, maybe it's the phone, maybe not. Either way it come with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee and I think I qualify for it. The only thing is, there will be some charges that still apply, but really I think I can handle that. It'd just be like renting a phone for the weekend, and then I wouldn't have to be stuck in a three year contract.
Gym motivation
On Wednesday after work I went over to Athlete's World as I needed a new pair of sneakers for the gym. I had planned to buy the pink pair of Saucony that were on sale for $69.00. However, the guy working there starting talking to me about a pair of Asics that were on sale for $159.00. I realize that he was probably trying to get me to buy the more expensive pair so he could get more comission, but he was very convincing. He told me that the Asics pair is a better shoe, with more gel stuff, it will last longer (forever apparently) and that they are more comfortable as well. Sure enough I tried the two on and compared them, and I fell in love with them. And trust me, I wanted the Saucony ones as they were pink and the Asics ones are purple. But I figured with the running I do, I can't afford to mess up my feet and why not get sneakers that will apparently last me forever? Talking to my assistant manager Mark at the theatre later that day, he agreed, that Asics is a wonderful brand, that he bought a shirt in grade 8 that he still has, that is still in mint condition (he's 25 now btw). And I've gone to the gym with them twice and I absolutely love them. I feel as though I could run forever!

4 Comments:

  • At 11:52 AM, Blogger Tawny said…

    The Hair Thing:
    Should we start calling you Princess Leia now or wait until you start wearing your hair in two buns?? *dies* *wipes tears from eyes*

    The Phone Thing:
    Doesn't sound like you need the phone with all the bells and whistles, it'd be nice to have, but for your purposes, I think the one you have is probably sufficient. And I still like that little phone we passed off to you, despite the fancier models that are out there.

    The Sneaker Thing:
    It's really important to have good sneakers for running - AND I read the time most runners injure themselves is during the 8-12 weeks of their running program, so it's smart to take the precautions to prevent that from happening. That reminds me, I need to blog about my own new sneaker acquisition :).

     
  • At 12:58 PM, Blogger Jody said…

    Good Sneaks are truly important. Yes they are expensive, but it pays off... but no matter how good, if your exercising regularly in them you will likely need to change them in 6 months to a year. You will feel the difference and know when.

    Go with the braids... you look cute in those.

     
  • At 1:09 PM, Blogger Fern Wimpley said…

    Tawn: they say they like the bun. Apparently it makes me look like a sexy secretary or a slutty school teacher. :|. Oh my, the people I'm forced to work with. I like the phone you guys gave me too! :)

    Jods: I really don't mind spending cash on sneaks, as I don't pay for my membership, so it kind of works out :).
    I look cute with loose braids, but we'll see. My hair doesn't like braids right now (got another layer added, which I shouldn't have done, but hey, hair grows :P)

     
  • At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well ultimately people working with food should have their hair in a NET actually, so be thankful they're not on your ass about that! :) I would go with the braids too, I would think a bun would add years... I dunno.

    As for the phone... you bandwagoner. :) Use their 30-day guarantee, put up a stink, and run away from the contract. For the love of god, do not get tied into a cell phone contract. IMO, pay for the phone you want (so basically, get a base-model one) and go month-to-month. Service, and your life, are ever changing.

    Fido's been bought by Rogers here. Shit happens.

    As for the sneaker thing... generally, with all things, you get what you pay for. There are only some cases were you don't. $2000 suits are always better than $200 ones. It's just if you have to buy 10 suits, you already know what route you have to go in. :) But yes, generally ignore sales people and go with your gut. It has to be about what you're happy with when you leave the store. If you buy a item of clothing and it costs $300 but when you put it on you feel great, it's better than the $50 alternative you're "not sure" of.

    I'll never understand why women will try on clothes, be unsure if they like it, but buy it anyhow "Oooh, I can always return it".. Bah.. If you're not pleased with it the minute you see it on you, "NEXT!".

     

Post a Comment

<< Home